Jul 29, 2014

[Recipe] Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice

I really love a great bowl of Taiwanese Braised Pork Rice and have been craving it for a few days before I decided to prepare it for dinner that day.

It's perfect comfort food to me. Gives me loads to feel nostalgic about. I remember my mom used to prepare braised pork rather regularly and it's definitely one of my favourite food though I don't cook it often these days for the fear of increasing the cholesterol level a notch higher in me.

Preparing this braised pork rice was one of the easiest meal I've ever made. This is why I love one pot meals! 

Here's what you'd need -
Ingredients
2 medium size shallots (chopped)
3-4 cloves of garlic (minced)
1-2 stalks of spring onions (chopped)
1 red chilli (seeded and diced; leave the seeds in if you like the spice)
200gms minced pork
400gms pork belly (scalded in water for 15mins)
1.5 tbsp rock sugar
1 piece of Licorice
1/4 tsp of 5 spice powder
dash of pepper
5tbsp light soya sauce
5tbsp dark soya sauce
1-1.5 cups chicken stock
Green leafy vegetables (blanch till cook and set aside) 
Method
1) Heat up a few tsp of oil in a pot
2) Pour in minced pork stir fry till cooked 
3) Add in pork belly, let it cook 5mins
4) Add spring onion, chopped shallots, minced garlic, chilli, fry with mixture for 1 min
5) Pour in both types of soya sauce
6) Add chicken stock, 5 spice powder, licorice, pepper and rock sugar
7) Bring mixture to a boil then simmer for 1.5hrs or until meat is tender
8) Serve with white rice and vegetables

If you wish to know where the inspiration of making this Taiwanese Braised Pork rice came from, watch the video below. I've adapted majorly from it.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline

    Your recipes are all so attractive. May I know what is Licorice? Where can I get this?

    Thanks!

    Pauline Tan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline, thanks for your kind compliment. The chinese licorice (甘草) is a root here's some info about it for your reference http://www.herbslist.net/chinese-licorice-root.html you can get it from any chinese medical hall.

      Delete